birding-aus

Grey Wagtail, WA and RFI

Subject: Grey Wagtail, WA and RFI
From: Arjan Brenkman <>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 06:37:52 -0700 (PDT)
Dear fellow birders,

  Five years ago I was fortunate to travel for 3 months from Perth to Brisbane
in a clockwise manner.
  I visited the Broome observatory for a couple of days. On 7th november 2002
my girfriend and I were sitting on the beach when I heard the distinctive call
of Grey Wagtail (which is very easy to a dutch ear with only House sparrow and
grey wagtail around the appartment complex).
  It flew out in from the sea and landed right next to us, so I could see it
was a female/1st winter with grey back, yellow undertailcoverts, long tail and
pinkish-brown legs, no black on the throat. After a minute insect hawking or
so, the bird took off again, showing its white wingbarsff. I checked the
Pizzley guide and saw that it could be seen in Australia in winter/spring so
didn't pay much attention to the record. However, after checking Frank o'
Conners fantastic website just now, I read that this could be the second only
for WA? Should I submit this record? and if so where can I submit it?

  Furthermore, if possible I wish to ask you for some help.
  My wife and I will visit Australia for another 6 weeks from coming thursday.
We will drive from Perth to Brisbane, this time counter-clockwise.
  I would be particularly interested in more specific info on finding Flame
Robin, Satin Flycatcher, Spotted Quailthrush Yellow Thornbill and Gang Gang. I
wanted to visit the Tidbinbilla's as recommended by Thomas and Thomas. Is this
still any good or are there better sites around the end of october/beginning of
november.
  Furthermore, I intend to visit Fivebough, Binya (Painted HE and Turquoise
parrot, still good?) and the Brisbane area. Is WE Monarch back in the first two
weeks in november and are there any hotspots to try to see this little gem? Is
sherwood still reliable for Bushhen? Any bitterns around anywhere? and finally,
is Powerful owl still perched in the creek at the slaughter falls or is there a
better bird?
  At the end of my trip I will thank anyone who contributed and will write a
small report for this mailing forum.

  Many thanks in advance.

  Kind regards,

  Arjan Brenkman