birding-aus

Re: Rufous Owl Photos

To: Birding-aus Aus <>
Subject: Re: Rufous Owl Photos
From: Paul McDonald <>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 09:41:04 +1000
Hi all,

Well done Amy, I think you attracted far too much criticism for this report. I was very surprised most emails assumed you were wrong rather than the bird must have been an escapee, which most would have done for just about every other species I think. So well done on this and for sticking to your guns, hopefully some of the other emailers will pull their head in a bit next time until photos are posted. These snobby attitudes are what put many people off birding or even reporting interesting possibilities.

Anyway the other point I wanted to raise is that it should be noted that the fluffing of feathers clearly observable in many of the photos is clearly a threat posture. Given another current thread describing dangerous birds, observers may want to keep a little more distance next time, least they add escapee Rufous owls to the list....

Happy birding all,
Paul