birding-aus

The new C&B list - Barbary Doves and Sad News

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: The new C&B list - Barbary Doves and Sad News
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:46:14 +1000
Hi all,

In 2004 I deliberately sought out nesting Barbary Dove at Green Point, Brighton
(Melbourne, Vic). I had an feeling, considering they were nesting, that they
would be included on the list.

Just quickly, looking through recent records of Barbary Dove, there are records
from Scarborough, Redcliffe, 1997; Dayboro, Qld 1998; Harrington, NSW, 2001;
Dingley, SE Melbourne, 2001; Canberra, 2002; Mount Isa, NW Qld, 2002; Kings
Beach Creek, Bowen, Qld 2003; Vale Park, Adelaide, 2004; Kororoit Creek, Vic
2005; Penrith, Sydney, NSW 2006. There was (is) also a breeding population in
Alice Springs, ongoing (destroyed), with a record also from Tennant Creek; and
in Bayside, Vic, they seem to be ongoing.

Also, if I may, I am sad to announce the death of my father, Dr Vic Dolby, who
passed away last week after a fire on his farm in Newlyn, Victoria. Dad's main
interest in life was natural history, particularly birds, being a life-long
members of Birds Australia and BOCA. Whenever he was away from the house he was
never seen without his beloved Zeiss binoculars around his neck. We spent a
life together birding, camping and bush-walking. Dad worked as a psychiatrist,
as well as having a career in politics. His knowledge of birds, plants and the
environment will be sadly missed.

Big apologies to anybody that I've been grumpy with over the last week (and
there has been a few).

Regards,

Tim Dolby