birding-aus

Political vs Biogeographical Twitch Lists [Re: The new C&B list]

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Political vs Biogeographical Twitch Lists [Re: The new C&B list]
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 15:38:13 +1000
The issue of birding boundaries is a fascinating issue for me when I wear my geographer's hat. Birdwatchers like to create regional lists - birds that they see on their property, birds that they have seen from their property, birds that they see on other properties [eg National Parks], birds that they see in each State [State lists] and birds that they see within national boundaries [National lists].

I suspect there are few birdwatchers who have genuine biogeographical lists - eg a wet tropics list, a northern savannah list, a central deserts list etc. At the larger level, where is the biogeographical boundary for Australian avifauna? It would certainly include much if not all of New Guinea - possibly Wallace's Line? [Continental Australia runs into New Guinea]

Ultimately, I guess the only regionalisation that isn't contentious would be the world list.

Regards, Laurie.