birding-aus

Fwd: Painted Snipe/ Aus Threatened Bird List.

To: birding birding-aus <>
Subject: Fwd: Painted Snipe/ Aus Threatened Bird List.
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 04:17:04 +1000
Begin forwarded message:

From: "Angus Innes" <>
Date: 15 August 2007 7:26:23 PM
To: <>
Subject: Painted Snipe/ Aus Threatened Bird List.

Dean Ingwersen's informative e-mail on the Painted Snipe referred to his colleague's work on this bird for the Federal Government's threatened species unit.

This prompt's me to draw attention to the website that incorporates the colleagues work - and the "Australian Painted Snipe" provides a good example to demonstrate the use of the site. With excuses to the researchers, a computer newchum's guide follows:

1. The site is accessed through the following llink:
http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/threatened/index.html
(This page, part of the Australian Government's Dept of Environment website, heads the section on the threatened species and ecological communities listed under the federal Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 ["EPBC"].)

2. The link throws up a page entitlesd "Threatened species and ecological communities". Go to the box on the right of the page entitled "EPBC Lists" and click on "Threatened Fauna". This produces the complete (federal) list of threatened fauna species.

3. If you then go to the bird list in the "Vulnerable" category within the list you find "Australian Painted Snipe" (45th name). A click on the name gives a page of essential details about the bird including a distribution map. Importantly, it has related links including to some illustrations and to the detailed document presented for the listing of the species.

No doubt this data base, which is overseen by the scientific committee, will be expanded over the years but it is a very good starting point when checking on rare (threatened) Australian bird species.

Angus Innes.

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.

We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk