birding-aus

Rockwarbler mimicry

To: Ricki Coughlan <>, Birding-aus aus <>
Subject: Rockwarbler mimicry
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:07:49 +1000
Ricki and all,

I've heard a Rockwarbler engage in mimicry a couple of times. It was a bird that was visiting my garden (in Katoomba) during Feb-March 2004. As well as softly mimicking a Brown Thornbill, this bird would occasionally make a strange high-pitched whistle that puzzled me for a while - until I heard it answering a nearby King-Parrot, and realised it was copying it! It was a fairly feeble imitation but definitely made in response to the sound it was hearing. The pitch and rhythm were the same but the quality of sound was much weaker.

It was hilarious to see this bird poking around the garden, quietly imitating the King-Parrot like someone singing along with the radio!

I find it interesting that both this bird and the bird Ricki heard were mimicking a sound they were actually hearing at the time. I can't remember whether this was also the case when it mimicked the Brown Thornbill, but it's quite possible.

Cheers,

Carol