birding-aus

Rockwarbler mimicry

To: Birding-aus aus <>
Subject: Rockwarbler mimicry
From: Ricki Coughlan <>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 13:58:30 +1000
G'day all

I have looked Rockwarbler mimicry up on the Birding-Aus archives and there is only one mention of it several years ago. Having found only a small repetoire for Rockwarblers in the HANZAB, I felt that it may be good to put another record of this event "out there". Perhaps others will also feel inspired to keep an ear out for this behaviour.

Despite being an avid Rockwarbler observer for some decades, I had not witnessed this so emphatically until last Friday. I was in Sydney's Royal National Park in the company of a Canadian friend who had come to Australia specifically to see this one bird(!) after dipping on it in 2004. To her great joy (and a huge reduction in my stress levels), we observed a pair of these very confiding birds at very close quarters for some time, as they foraged amid moss on a large boulder. On more than one occasion, one bird (presumably the male) fed some small invertebrates to the other (also not recorded in HANZAB).

On two occasions the bird which was providing the food to the other stopped foraging and began to beautifully mimic a White-throated Treecreeper's "warbling/trill" call - no, not like the occasionally heard Rockwarbler "warble" - the Rockwarbler was perfectly reproducing the discrete and loud warble which White-throated Treecreepers make especially around this time of year. The treecreeper was making the same call from a tree on the other side of the trail and the calls and their volume of both birds were clearly identical.

A number of Acanthizids possess mimicry skills to one degree or another, but this event demonstrated to me that it is the Rockwarbler which produces the best quality (if not quantity) of mimicry skills.

Ricki Coughlan
Cremorne Point, Sydney

http://www.redtail.net.au