birding-aus

Norfolk Island in August

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Norfolk Island in August
From: Barry Davies <>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 14:22:04 +1000
Hi Peter,
I have forwarded your posting to Marg Christian so she can note your sighting of the Shelduck which is a rare one for Norfolk. I am a regular visitor to Norfolk and enjoy getting my annual ticks of the endemics. The summer months are extraordinary with seabirds nesting all over the main island and in huge numbers on Philip Island. Even in winter there are usually more seabirds and waders around than you saw. At Kingston there are usually Golden Plovers, Double-banded Plovers, Whimbrels, Bar-tailed Godwits, Wandering Tattlers and the Turnstones. Even though the island is small I have only once seen the Wood-swallows. A group of Swiftlets was sighted in March this year but no one was able to get a positive id. They looked to me, and another observer who first observed them and got a better look than me, to be White-rumped but don't they all. In spite of being a small place, or perhaps because of it, Norfolk can spring a few surprises both on land and at sea. Marg Christian is definitely the person to contact if you are going there. I agree with Mike that the "Golden Whistler', locally called 'Tamey' should be a separate species. Is the White-breasted White-eye extinct or extant? There have been sightings in recent years so the opportunity exists for someone to have there 15 mins of fame by finding it and getting the photo to prove it. You will probably need a good head for heights because it is supposed to live in the tops of the Norfolk Pine trees which are very tall. Good luck. I hope to find it first so you have until March 2008 which is when I will be there next.
Regards,
Barry Davies
Beechmont, Qld.