birding-aus

Western Ringneck in Sunbury

To: <>
Subject: Western Ringneck in Sunbury
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:40:52 +1000
Hi all,

We went for a walk along Kismet Creek Reserve in Sunbury this afternoon
looking for Swift Parrots that are supposed to be present there at this time
of year. Dipped out on the Swift Parrots but we saw a WESTERN Ringneck (Port
Lincoln Parrot)!!!!! This must be an escapee – surely?!? The bird had a ring
on its left leg that appeared to contain the letters 'FC' and possibly a
'6'. Bird had very distinctive cooing call. The bird was visible for quite a
while and we took many photos. We’ve reported the sighting to Birdline and
uploaded a photo – hopefully it’ll be accepted shortly and available for
viewing.

We are a little confused though – According to Pizzey & Knight (including
the Eighth Edition) there are two species of Ringneck – The Eastern or
Mallee Ringneck and the Western Ringneck or Port Lincoln Parrot. According
to The New Atlas of Australian Birds there is just one species – The
Australian Ringneck. Does anyone know which is correct? Presumably if there
is only one species, then our sighting of a “Western” Ringneck is less
interesting – although the bird definitely has the Western Ringneck plumage
(according to the image in Pizzey & Knight).

Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
2:29 PM