birding-aus

Norfolk Island in August

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Norfolk Island in August
From: "Peter Marsh" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 19:09:11 +1000
Dear Birders,
I have just returned from 2 1/2 days on Norfolk Island. The weather was
glorious and the winds very calm making for great birding conditions.

I went with a 4 bird wish list and satisfied that by 11am on the first morning!
The four were Red-capped Lorikeet (Green Parrot), Long-billed White-eye, NI
Gerygone and California Quail. I found the Gerygone and the Lorikeet before
breakfast in the Botanic Gardens. I subsequently saw the Gerygone very
frequently but did not get another look at the Lorikeet at all. After breakfast
at Highlands Lodge I walked up the road to Mt Bates. On the way I came across a
flock of about 15 Quail feeding in the grass beside the road. Being on foot and
walking up-hill I had great views before they became aware of my presence. On
my return from Mt Bates I found a small flock of the White-eye beside the Mt
Bates track only 0.5 Km down from the summit. I subsequently saw the Quail a
number of times each day but often fleeting views as one or two birds darted
off the road. I saw the white-eye a couple of times more always in the National
Park.

I saw many of the other expected birds judging by Margaret Christian's book and
postings on Birding-Aus and will only comment on the exceptions. The only
waders were a small flock of Ruddy Turnstones at Kingston at dead low tide. I
tried for the Owl on two nights without even hearing a call. I was also out of
luck with Tropic Birds. A rare vagrant that I did pick up was a female
Australian Shelduck on the Mission Pond. I did not find either of the exotic
Finches not the Masked Wood-swallow. I saw Song Thrush on 3 occasions - once at
dusk on the track between Mt Pitt and Mt Bates  and twice in the 100 Acre
Reserve. I did not get out to Phillip Island so seabirding was rather limited.
Masked Booby were nesting on the Northern Islands (near Cook's Monument) and
there were lots of Grey Turnlets , Black Noddys and White Terns but not a lot
else. A Pair of Brown Skuas were noted during one sea watch. Scarlet Robins
were seen a number of times, always in the Botanic Gardens or the National Park
- a similar situation applied to the Golden Whistler.

Regards
Peter Marsh