birding-aus

resource for overseas and beginning birders

To: "Paul Dodd" <>
Subject: resource for overseas and beginning birders
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:45:01 +1000
I certainly agree with most if not all of what you say Paul and have been
working for some time on a website (birdingsites.com.au ) which will try and
tackle some of the issues you raise. (It's still very much under
development!)  Books tend to be very well researched by someone  who is
dedicated to getting that book to market and so are usually great sources of
information - but in an era of rapid development and climate change one has
to ask how long they are relevant for - I have certainly been to places
recommended in "Where to Bird" books and found a housing development. The
web provides an opportunity for constant updates BUT is only useful of
course if people actually update the information!
The site (which requires the use of a reasonably modern browser and probably
a broadband connection) contains an interactive map of Australia. On it may
be displayed all of the bird clubs that I know about, all of the Eremaea and
Birdpedia sites (thanks to Richard & Margaret and Martyn), "Local Birders"
(who are people who willing to give advice and guidance about their area)
and user-created locations - I have populated it with a few sites of my own,
but any registered user may add and edit sites. Each site also has a
guestbook for comments,
Much remains to be done:

   - Eremaea and Birdpedia often both have references for the same place
   and - with the exception of the Western Treatment Plant, Werribee (probably
   the best place to look at on the system) and a couple of others - I have not
   fixed this problem.
   - Eremaea references tend to be for 10 minute grid cells, and thus
   most sites are not accurately placed on the map.
   - I do not currently get updates from Eremaea and Birdpedia as I have
   yet to work out how to do this
   - If you add a site it does not get added to Eremaea or Birdpedia
   - You cannot enter sightings via the site
   - You cannot search for the sites where a species has been seen
   - There is no access to the BA Atlas data (I haven't asked yet!)

There is a lot of data to display (around 10,000 sites) so it can be a bit
confusing but I hope it is a start. I aim to keep developing it (when I am
not out birding!) but its ultimate success depends on the willingness of
birders to use it and add data and keep information up to date!

Anyway - comments welcome (I am going birding for 19 days starting next Wed
so don't expect responses in that time). As I said - it is under development
and there almost certainly are bugs, but it's a start.....

Dave