birding-aus

Interesting honeyeater sightings

Subject: Interesting honeyeater sightings
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:27:53 +1000
Hi all,

After several months of almost no honeyeater activity in the Capertee Valley, things are starting to look better. The Needle-leaf Mistletoe along the river is flowering and White-plumed, Fuscous and Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters have returned. Last weekend at Coco Creek I heard a single Crescent Honeyeater, which is unusual for the Capertee, while at Glenowlan Bridge there was a Blue-faced Honeyeater and a Spiny-cheeked in the same spot it was regularly seen last spring. I searched for Regents with no luck, but they could turn up any day now.

Up in the Blue Mountains we're experiencing a small influx of White-plumed Honeyeaters. This is not normally a bird of the mountains, but over the last few weeks there have been a handful of records, the latest being one or two at Mt York on Friday. We also saw a Fuscous at the same place the next day.

Mt York is quite a hotspot at the moment with Red-browed Treecreepers everywhere, Scarlet Robins, Buff-rumped Thornbills, lyrebirds and one of my best ever views of a pair of Spotted Quail-thrush, pecking around on the road surface for so long that we got tired of watching them!

Cheers,

Carol

--
Carol Probets