birding-aus

resource for overseas and beginning birders

To: "'Dave Torr'" <>
Subject: resource for overseas and beginning birders
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:59:36 +1000
Hi Dave,

I can see where you?re going with your site. I like the use of the Google
Maps. I like the idea of the guestbook per site ? I must admit that hadn?t
occurred to me. I think that you definitely need potential species to see at
each site ? this data probably needs to come from the Atlas rather than
Eremaea or Birdpedia, simply for the volume of data. Following on from this
the probability of seeing a particular species at a particular site should
be shown (just the number of times a particular species has been seen at a
survey for the site over the total number of surveys for the site). This
would start to give the same sort of results that Paul Osborn mentioned in
his response. Once you have species data you could change the markers that
are used to highlight those sites with the greatest number of species.

Your points about the differences between printed matter (a book) and an
online database are well noted. As the owner of a software company myself, I
should be a little more tolerant ? I do like the idea of something tangible
in my hands, though! However, you?re quite right about books dating.

Anyway, I?ll keep my eye on the site and give you any other feedback
off-list.

All the best,

Paul