birding-aus

NSW Greystanes - Swift Parrot update - 1st July 2007

To: <>
Subject: NSW Greystanes - Swift Parrot update - 1st July 2007
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 16:43:32 +1000
I had a look along Hyland Rd in Greystanes (approx. 40km west of Sydney CBD)
this morning for about an hour (11-12pm)  to see if I can locate and Swift
Parrots. The only one I saw was one circling high over the creek and making
a few calls before it disappeared towards Prospect Reservoir where I presume
some are still present. I have not heard of anyone else apart from myself
being able to track the Swift Parrots down (If anyone has seen any other
Swift Parrots in this area, can they please let me know?). I have not seen
any Swifties feeding as yet even though there are plenty of suitable trees
(Spotted Gums and Mugga Ironbarks) in the area, I have only seen them either
roosting during the day (as with the 12 birds last weekend) and evening or
in flight. I have seen them now on 3 times along Hyland Rd these past few
weeks and all around noon.

Also along Hyland Rd during my time was a Black-shouldered Kite,
Bar-shouldered Dove, several Fan-tailed Cuckoos, a Fuscous Honeyeater
amongst other Honeyeaters, 60 plus Double-barred Finches and a number of
Dusky Woodswallows.

I have been recording Swift Parrots in and around Seven Hills, Prospect and
Greystanes on every weekend since the 20th May.

Edwin