birding-aus

Google Earth Photos

To: "Birding-aus \(E-mail\)" <>
Subject: Google Earth Photos
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 16:28:49 +1000
I think if people think it fun to have a technology-assisted viewing of a bird
on the other side of the world, then surely that should be fine with the rest
of us. Although it seems a little vacuous to me. If it feels like cheating then
what is the point of doing it? Provided it is separate from the list of birds
seen at whatever home locality. If they learn something about the bird, that is
even better. If they wish to keep a tick list of birds or trains or postage
stamps or coca cola cans or anything else that interests them, that they have
seen by technology-assisted methods or from behind the next wave and identified
later from a photo, then that is fine too. Who cares what they do with their
lists? I've been at this for 37 years (counted from when I joined the BOCA).
Whilst I used to care about my personal bird list, I don't care much about it
any more - as in it is many years since I last tried to do a tally and I care
even less about anyone else's lists and rules.

What matters and what I do care about is the fun of doing the observing, the
new bits of information learned and then the information about why how many of
what birds live in what places at what times (and how they survive there). If
your observing contributes to that, then it should be correct.

Philip