birding-aus

Help with Mallee Emu-wren project VIC

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Help with Mallee Emu-wren project VIC
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 12:33:55 +1000
Hi All,

I am a third year PHD student working on Mallee Emu-wrens in
Hattah-Kulkyne and the Murray_Sunset NP in Victoria. I am seeking
assistants to help me with my project for the final phase of my project.

I require assistants with difference levels of experince throughout
August - November this year. THose of you that have little/no  experience
but feel you can help me and learn how to use a GPS are  welcome to
join me at Hattah on my shorter trips. Hattah has basic  camping
facilities at a picturesque site. The road is suitable for 2wd. (see
2) below). You must be able to hear the high call of the MEW as this
is how we locate them.

I am also seeking EXPERIENCED banders to help me catch MEWs for
collection of material for a genetic study. I require individuals that
are familiar with setting up mist nets, are fit enough to carry
equipment off major tracks into bush areas (may be several KM), are
agile as MEWs move quickly, and have experience with GPS navigation.

If you are interested in joining me, please contact me via email or
phone for more information or discuss my plans in more detail(see
below). Except
where I am taking people in a work vehicle with me, I am flexible with
dates. I hope to hear from some of you soon,
Kind Regards,
Sarah Brown

1)COLLECTING SAMPLES FOR GENTIC STUDY. This requires several trips
into the Murray-Sunset and Annuello FF Reserve. I am seeking
EXPERIENCED mist-netters and it is essential that you are fit
enough to carry some equipment and walk several km off road. You must
also be very agile to capture MEWs as they are fast - they do not
remain in the nets for more than a couple of seconds.

Set dates are :

24 July -1 August, NW Murray-Sunset only (I have a spare space in the car)
11th  - 20th September, Mid Murray-Sunset only (3 places in car)
2nd Oct- 9th October, Eastern end of Murray_sunset (3 places in car)

Flexible dates :
4-5 days for Annuello ('soft 4wd' are ok) no dates set
4-5 days for eastern end of Murray-Sunset (?may need 4wd) no dates set
perhaps another trip next year
IF you have your own 4WD that is capable of deep sandy country we can
travel as a group or meet somewhere. If logistics suit you, I can
collect you from Hattah where you can leave your car at the Parks
compound.
I will provide food.

2) TIME ACTIVITY BUDGET at Hattah.  I will be undertaking
numerous short trips to Hattah from 9th of August until mid November.
This aspect of the project requires assistants that can hear the high
pitched call of the MEW, preferable some experience with GPS as you
may need to walk off track on your own to specific points and a
relatively good level of fitness. Alternatively if you are keen on
insects I will also be collecting them from Triodia.

This work will involve :
following birds for set periods at different times of the day (this is
not difficult) and record feeding patterns
help collect insects from Trioida (prickly)
possibly some catching of MEWs (dependent on helpers and experience)

Set dates : August 9-14th
Flexible dates :
~August 21-31st
~Sept 22-29th
~Any time from 11th of October to 16th of November - preferably of 2-8
days duration.

Sarah Brown

Mobile : 0404 483 786
Email :