birding-aus

NORTHERN NSW BIRDS

To: Lorne Johnson <>,
Subject: NORTHERN NSW BIRDS
From: Charles Hunter <>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:10:09 +1000 (EST)
Hi Lorne,

  I am currently up here. Spent some time at Border Ranges NP yesterday and had
great views of a male and female Albert's Lyrebird. This was at the
Falcorostrum Loop.

  I heard another 3-4 other males calling madly in the vicinity (the songs /
mimicry were superb!). I was there at 7.00am. Was hoping to also see Rufous SB
but no luck.

  Unfortunately I saw a wild dog (looked like a dingo) that was about to pounce
on a Brush-turkey about 1/4 of the way around the Bar Mountain Circuit. It
showed me its teeth in disappointment of me scaring away breakfast then ran
away. Its presence in such a strong hold for birds like Albert's and Rufous SB
is a huge worry, NSW NPWS need to get out there ASAP and bait / trap / destroy.

  I reckon one of the best places for Coxen's (not that I have seen one) is in
the Big Scrub areas of Nightcap National Park. Exact location details are in
previous reports I have posted. I was there yesterday, not great birding,
however full report to come later.

  You could also check out Booyong NR. I was there briefly on Saturday
afternoon with highlight being a Noisy Pitta. There was a confirmed Coxen's
sighting there several years ago.

  Locations in brief:
  Gibbergunyah Road including Big Scrub Loop (park car at start of Big Scrub
Loop walk and walk about 1km up the road)
  Scrub Turkey Walk to Rocky Creek Dam (start off Gibbergunyah Road or from
Rocky Creek Dam)
  Booyong NR (Big Scrub remnant near Booyong)

  I will be there again (in Nightcap) Wednesday and Thursday morning.

  Cheers,
  Charles Hunter
  Paddington, Sydney

Lorne Johnson <> wrote:
  Hello again,

I'm heading up to the north of NSW (between Byron Bay and Lismore) the
week after next. I'm after a few birds I haven't seen... Has anyone got
reliable, up-to-date sites for the following birds up that way?

Rufous Scrub-bird

Barred Cuckoo-shrike

Albert's Lyrebird

Red Goshawk

Coxen's Fig-parrot!

Blue-fronted Fig-parrot!!!!!!!!! (Oh, go on, John, tell me, please,
pleeaaassee... I'll be your best friend!)

Is the Cotton Pygmy-goose still near Grafton?

Any info on interesting mammals would be appreciated too.

Thanks folks,

Lorne

Attention:
This e-mail message is privileged and confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

This email was scanned and cleared by NetIQ MailMarshal.