birding-aus

Anyone else seeing Crested Hawks in Brisbane?

Subject: Anyone else seeing Crested Hawks in Brisbane?
From: "Natalia Atkins" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 16:23:46 +1000
Hi All!
We've got a pair of Crested hawks who have just turned up this week, who are
hanging around in our yard and in the parkland across the road from us, near
morningside in Brisbane. They are beauties! And for Hawks, they are so
gangly in the way we see them jumping in and out of the upper folliage of
trees, hanging upside down, and perching with wings spread and tail feathers
out. On first impression, they have a  similar demeanour to a Pheasant
Coucal.

I've just been doing some reading about them, and I read that they can
congregate in groups as large as 30 birds!!. If that happens here, I think
the local minors and butcherbirds would faint. They are already so busy
screetching their little lungs out all day at the Pair of Crested hawks.

Can anyone tell me anything more about Crested Hawks in Brisbane? I read
that they migrate here for early winter to Sprng. Are they likely to nest
here, or are they just passing through?

Cheers! Any information is much appreciated!