birding-aus

re: (beyond) killing of rare parrots

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: re: (beyond) killing of rare parrots
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 22:28:47 +1000 (EST)
Hear Hear Bob,

I would like to see some sustained debate and advocacy positions developed
on the serious matters you've raised: this list seems a logical site for
the articulation of these sorts of positions.

My sense is that something has to be done to contest and disable the
politically opportunistic abuse of State and Commonwealth environmental
legislation.  See, didn't blame any particular political party there!  But
these matters are being used as pawns by major political parties in state
and federal contexts: we are not simply talking about technicalities of
law and policy here.  At one level, what's needed are more successful
Federal Court actions to "test" and consolidate prosecutions and penalties
under threatened species legislation.

Hang on ... I think I just saw a pig fly by too.

Craig Williams
Newcastle & Lake Maquarie NSW