birding-aus

Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos in inner city Sydney, NSW

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos in inner city Sydney, NSW
From: Scot Mcphee <>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 21:10:32 +1000

On 21/05/2007, at 5:28 PM,  wrote:

Hi Eric and all,

I used to see YTBCs at certain times of the year in the inner-west of
Sydney: specifically a pine tree in MacDonaldtown: recall one morning
around 2002 walking to MacDonaldtown station and thinking "what the hell is all this stuff on the footpath" (no I was not a serial complainant to
South Syd City Council!!) until I noticed chunks of pine cone and tree
cascading down upon me: looked up and there they were, the three YTBCs of
the apocalypse.

Red wattlebirds, and Koels, of course at certain times of the year, made regular appearances (and calls) in the Newtown/MacDonaldtown areas: the
sound of Koel's calling in summer - up close and echoing down narrow
terraced streets - made for some strange humid nights!

Koels would turn up every year in Challis Ave Potts Point (i.e. Kings Cross, Sydney) that I lived there from about 1998 to 2005 (in the big tree that's in the grounds of the girls school there). We saw a female chasing a male (or vice versa?) up Challis Ave late one evening about 2002. In fact my wife and I first became seriously interested in birding from out experiences with sulphur cresteds in Darlinghurst. YTBC frequently seen in and around Centennial Park from the late 1990s by the two of us. Also seen at least one Corella in the Sulphur Crested's big flock (it's the one that lives in the Botanic Garden and Domain). Also seen, a wagtail asleep on its nest one night time in a tree near Embarkation Park at the end of Challis Ave.

There are/were of course dozens of Pied Currawongs in Potts Point. I really miss their evening calling. They are around here in Auchenflower (Brisbane Qld) as I hear and occasionally see one or two but nowhere near the density of eastern Sydney.

regs
scot.