birding-aus

What binocular power?

To: "'David Adams'" <>, "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: What binocular power?
From: "Gregory Little" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:58:44 +1000
David

I agree. Was away with a fellow for a month recently, he had equal
quality binoculars of 8x (mine are 10x) and he saw the detail in
everything that I saw with no troubles what so ever. Matter of fact I
reckon that because the 8x have the advantage of less
"movement/vibration/camera shake" whatever, than the higher powers they
see just as much detail. Of course if both were rested on a firm surface
the 10x may have an advantage. Waterproof binoculars are good not only
for the occasional rain showers and river dunkings but for dust,
humidity and sweat etc.

As regards costs, nobody thinks much of it if you spend thousands of
dollars on a tinny and motor to go fishing or tens of thousands for a
bigger boat. Nobody gets embarrassed by that. But when you tell people
how much the binoculars cost they gasp. Why? Lots of pursuits are
expensive to set up. For a couple of thousand dollars you get a superb
optical instrument, that the kings and Packers cannot get better than,
that "should" last many, many happy years and you will use a couple of
times a week at least for the rest of your days. A good pair of
binoculars, a good field guide, a note book and pen and your set up.
Pretty cheap for your life long passion/obsession.

Greg