birding-aus

grass owl at werribee

Subject: grass owl at werribee
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:53:14 +1000
I put my observation on the Vic Birdline as follows (with minor changes):

Whilst taking two overseas visitors around the WTP this afternoon (Sun 25th
around 1400) we observed a "Tyto" owl in the low saltbush on the east side
of the Little River just south of "Greenshank Cove". The initial diagnosis
was a Barn Owl but when it flew the back was far darker than any Barn Owl I
had seen. The bird did not have the dark line around the face of a Masked
(and in any case the habitat seemed wrong) so we concluded it MAY be a Grass
Owl - when it flew the legs seemed very long. My companions took some photos
(as they are travelling it will be a few days before they can download them
and email them to me) but we saw Fred Smith later in the afternoon and he
looked at the images agreed that the diagnosis could be correct. I would
encourage anyone to keep a close eye on the area in the next few days.

On 28/03/07,  <>