birding-aus

Aratinga = Conure (?) and Amazona spp.

Subject: Aratinga = Conure (?) and Amazona spp.
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:27:32 +1000
On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 08:18:38PM +1000, Cas and Lisa Liber wrote:
> I was browsing over wikipedia where the members of the genus Aratinga (known
> to me as Conures) have all been renamed parakeets, leading to the ambiguous
> name "Orange-fronted parakeet" now referring to both a neotropical Aratinga
> canicularis as well as the NZ Cyanoramphus malherbi.
> Similarly, the Amazons of the genus Amazona are now called parrots.
> This seems somewhat odd to say the least.
> The AOU has these as official names, yet my Forshaw "Parrots of the World"
> has them called Conures and Amazons.... (not to mention most of the pet
> business) Anyone heard anything about official names

I dug out de Schauensee's 1970 "Birds of South America".  It uses
"Parakeet" & "Parrot" for Aratingas & Amazons.  With Eisenmenn he set
down English names for the South American avifauna which I gather have
mostly been followed by subsequent authors and the AOU.  Presumably the
use of Conure & Amazon as English name stems from aviculture.

Digging out de Schaunesse bought back memories of backpacking through
South America 20 years ago through countries with (then) no field guide
available.  I suspect I saw triple the species I identified.

I'm going to central America in 2 months and not only are there
magnificent guides like Howell&Webb so full of information and luscious
plates that you can barely carry them but there is even a  summary guide
by Van Perlo so you have something compact&portable.  And I've loaded
an MP3 player  with the calls of 800+ species.

Andrew