birding-aus

Aratinga = Conure (?) and Amazona spp.

To: "Cas and Lisa Liber" <>, "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Aratinga = Conure (?) and Amazona spp.
From: "Greg" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 08:18:01 +1000
Hi Cas,

I can't really comment on the naming of the American parrots but I did notice the same and realised the potential confusion with the New Zealand birds. However I just wanted to point out that despite being called the Red-browed Firetail for a short time the official common name of the species (Christidis and Boles) has reverted to Red-browed Finch. It is apparently not closely related to the firetails. It is incredible how many people have picked up on the change to firetail but not the reversion to finch. Similarly the Stone-curlews were called 'Thick-knees' for a short while and this also seems to have stuck despite the rather unattractive name which I think overstates the size of their knees (which are in fact ankles anyway).

Greg Clancy