birding-aus

Inskip Point Qld & BBBQs etc

To: <>
Subject: Inskip Point Qld & BBBQs etc
From: "Margaret Cameron" <>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:36:02 +1000
Well lucky Maryborough Birdwatchers is all I can say! Today 27 March I took
Kris Tindige, and Sita, from West Papua to Inskip Point to see the
Black-breasted Button-quail. We did not see any. This is my first failure there
so it is particularly annoying when I really wanted to succeed for someone from
so far away. They did understand that one goes to look for, not necessarily
look at, BBBQs.

For those not aware of my own BBBQ saga, I first looked for one in about 1985 -
on a day on which Wayne Longmore plucked a BBBQ feather from a warm platelet
but none of us saw a BBBQ - and after many efforts finally succeeded at Inskip
Point on Boxing Day 2003. (The euphoria of this amazing event contributed
strongly to my decision to move back to Qld after nearly 40 years in the
southern wilderness.)  Since then I have seen a pair near Rosewood SE Q, seen
them at Inskip Point on I think 5 more occasions (100% hit rate until today) -
and had 100% failure at Yarraman a well known spot for everyone else.

Despite this and in spite of a horrible wind we had a great day including
excellent views of a White-eared Monarch at Inskip Point and of a Spotted
Harrier on the way back to Brisbane.

Margaret Cameron
2 Cintra Street
Eastern Heights