birding-aus

Lake Eyre filling with water

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Lake Eyre filling with water
From: "Elizabeth Shaw" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 00:35:09 +1100
Hi all,
I spent my last day on the Birdsville Track travelling out to Kalamurina
station (about 65km nw of Mungarannie) to see the Warburton Creek (the
extension of the Diamantina in full flow).  It started spilling into Lake Eyre
on Thursday.  The second flush of the Creek hadn't  reached Kalamurina yet, but
it has reached Clifton Hills, 2-3 stations further upstream.
I went to the Stony Crossing, about 10 km from the homestead, and in 40+* heat
spent about an hour wandering  around.  I got a list of about 12 species
including White-winged Fairy-wren (which looked black until seen in sunlight
and at a good angle), and Chirrupping Wedgebill.
Elizabeth Shaw (currently at Etadunna Station, Birdsvile Track)
(usually at)Phillip Island
Victoria