birding-aus

Helicopters and wetlands - Altona

To: "Birding-aus \(E-mail\)" <>
Subject: Helicopters and wetlands - Altona
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 12:40:24 +1100
Martin wrote: "As you may have discovered there has been little work done on
the impacts of aircraft on birdlife in Australia."

There are reasons for not having good bird habitat near airports. That is not
an anti conservation statement. There have been human fatalities & planes lost
due to bird strike, although I think only outside Australia. Outside Australia
there are many references on this topic. Taking this issue to what may be the
inverse of what was intended, there has also been little work done on the
impacts of birdlife on aircraft in Australia. The relevant Gov. dept did
formerly have a section that monitored this issue and had authorities to be
involved with safety issues at airports. They also issued annual reports for
about ten years, up until about 1987, of all bird strike events and hazards at
all Australian airports. Whilst at Canberra University I obtained these and
summarised their results by groupings of bird types according to likely risk
factors, as an unpublished report (1990) entitled "A review of the use and
effectiveness of methods for reducing bird strikes at and around airports". The
only Australian reference book I know of on the subject is: G.F. van Tets,
W.J.M. Vestgens, A.H. D'Andria & R. Barker, 1977 "Guide to the recognition of
aerodrome bird hazards", Australian Department of Transport & AGPS. ISBN: 0 642
01313 6.

Philip