birding-aus

Number of birdwatchers in Australia

Subject: Number of birdwatchers in Australia
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 21:43:28 +1100
I find the point about people's upbringing interesting. I do agree that without the input from your parents you have less chance of knowing about nature etc but also think that in the end it is just something in one's personality. I was brought up with an older sister and we always went camping for our holidays. Never stayed in motels or resorts - tents all the way! I have always had a love for nature (which is also part of my Christian upbringing and the sense of wonder at God's creation - but i'm not trying to make a religious debate out of this!) The interesting thing is that on all of our holidays my sister was more interested in reading a book inside the tent than going bushwalking or watching wildlife. She has never had any real interest in nature even with the same upbringing/exposure to it as me.

My love of nature first blossomed into landscape photography when out camping with friends. I was always interested in wildlife but probably more mammals than birds. I really started to get into birds when we went to visit my sister who lived in Darwin for a couple of years (and she never went to Kakadu in those 2 years!!!!!!) and my wife and i went to Kakadu. There were so many birds around that we bought a book to help ID them (Pizzey/Knight). From there i decided that if i was going to birdwatch i was going to do it properly - so searched the internet for help etc. I then found the Cumberland Bird Observers Club and Birds Australia and have never looked back!! Joining a club was fantastic as it helped me to learn so much more than i could by myself and also made it more social as well. People like Keith Brandwood have been incredibly powerful mentors and have taught me so much. I will forever be in their debt.

I now have a 2 month old daughter that i hope will at least have a love for creation/nature as well. One of her first birds at 4 weeks old was a Powerful Owl!! Although she might have been asleep at the time - in fact people have said they can't even focus at that age so maybe Daddy is clutching at straws with that one!!

Cheers
Dave Stowe