birding-aus

Re: Boobook in Albert Park and Number of Birdwatchers in Australia

To: <>
Subject: Re: Boobook in Albert Park and Number of Birdwatchers in Australia
From: "Helen Larson" <>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 11:15:53 +0930
I was born quite a while ago in Malvern (Melbourne) and listened to and
watched the birds in our garden (full of non-native flowering trees and
shrubs tended by my grandmother) and a boobook lived in one of the trees
- I heard it regularly. I reckon the bookbook thought it normal to take
advantage of whatever good things our garden provided (mice maybe, as we
had hens for eggs). Plus my grandmother gave me Cayley's "What bird is
that?" when I was seven - and I have been a closet birdo ever since. My
family considered enjoying things like flowers and birds and tidepools
to be important. But I'm the only one of us who birdwatches, but suspect
it was the influence of my grandmother, who gave me natural history
books and signed me up for the Gould Bird's League, that started it all
(and then I grew up to be a scientist).
So I reckon childhood experiences and the influence of people we respect
have a lot to do with us becoming birdos.
        Helen