birding-aus

Number of birdwatchers in Australia

To: "Allan & Hazel Wright" <>, <>
Subject: Number of birdwatchers in Australia
From: "Greg" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 09:10:34 +1100
Hi all,

When I first read this email I thought that this may be true for twitchers but not necessarily for other birdwatchers or scientific ornithologists. But then I thought further. There are a number of British born people that I know through birding and when you look at the scientific community it also applies but with the addition of US born people. Academics such as Hugh Ford and Iain Taylor are British while Walter Boles of the Australian Museum and Harry Recher are American born. I am sure there are a number of others and I am also sure that there are a number of Australian born scientists as well. But there certainly seems to be a noticeable influence of northern hemisphere birdos in Australia.

This phenomenon is probably due to the relatively recent European colonisation of Australia. We are at an earlier stage of evolution than our northern hemisphere counterparts. I am sue that it is easier now for a school child to be interested in birds than when I was at school in the 1950's and 1960's. I was considered extremely strange for having a passion for birds (and other wildlife) at a Catholic school that had the motto 'Esto Vir' "be a man" and rugby league was the order of the day. The fact that I broke my wrist (playing football) and hung up my boots didn't endear me to the other boys either. I should say, however, that the teachers (De La Salle Brothers) were very supportive.

Greg Clancy