birding-aus

"Great Tassie Twitch" results

To: birding aus <>
Subject: "Great Tassie Twitch" results
From: John Tongue <>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:46:49 +1000
"Great Tassie Twitch"
The Great Tassie Twitch has been run and run for 2006/7. After thinking 5 teams registering would be a good result, we ended up with 13 teams(!), and 43 participants. Around 135 species were spotted all up, with teams choosing their own 24-hr period between Jan 8 and Jan 21. After Don Knowler (writes a birds column for the local paper) arranging some coverage through the 'Mercury', and then subsequently ABC radio picking it up, we had enquiries from as far afield as Burnie, Scottsdale, St Helens and Swansea, though the teams that actually registered came from Grove, Ellendale, Westerway, Lauderdale and Hobart.

The overall event was won by the team "Rate of Knots" (Lachie Clark, Mike Bysouth, Andrew Meyles and Cynthia Sleight Meyles), with 103 species. Second was the team "The Coot and More Hens", with 74, "The Mangling Magpies Muggers Monstersions", with 61, and then in order, "The Jennie-wrens", "The Couch-grass Graziers", "The Pied Finches", "The Northside Tattlers", "The Warriga Warblers" and "The Blue-wrens". The organizers' team, "The White-fronted Chat-terboxes" came in with a creditable 100 species, but had to be disqualified, due to a speeding ticket!!

Don and Sue Knowler won the "Armchair Twitchers", with 28 species from their home. The most Raptors were seen by "The Two Charlies", with 5 seen on Bruny Island. "Multicultural Tasmania" (most migratory waders) went to "Rate of Knots", with 4 species, and "Save Ralph's Bay Award" to "The Pied Finches", with 12 species seen in and around Ralph's Bay. Other 'awards' (really only certificates!) were presented, too, at a follow-up BBQ on the Holiday Monday in Feb.

Around $250 to date has been raised for the "Save Ralph's Bay" cause, but most importantly, participants had LOTS of fun. We plan to run our next attempt a little earlier in 'the season' (Late Spring?).

John & Shirley Tongue
Hobart
Organizers of "The Great Tassie Twitch"