birding-aus

Does anybody know the origin of this story?

To: "Sean Dooley" <>, "'BIRDING-AUS'" <>
Subject: Does anybody know the origin of this story?
From: "Greg" <>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 23:30:07 +1100
Hi Sean,

Your query reminded me of a publishing error where the photographs of the
Red-eared Firetail of Western Australia and the Red-browed Finch of Eastern
Australia were transposed in one edition of the Readers Digest Bird Book.  I
had a 'phone call from a resident of the Clarence Valley, northern NSW,
where I live, claiming to have seen a bird that is only supposed to be found
in Western Australia.  I explained to him that there was a mistake with the
placement of the photos in the book but he wasn't convinced.  I think that
he had presumed that the bird had travelled all the way from WA and he had
made a great discovery.  It was in the book so it had to be right.  I
reassured him that the photos were transposed but as he said goodbye I could
tell that he still wasn't convinced.  I could almost hear him shaking his
head!

Greg Clancy