birding-aus

Rare bird sitings along Moonee Ponds Ck [whataboutMerri Ck? - both Melbo

To: "Peter Ewin" <>
Subject: Rare bird sitings along Moonee Ponds Ck [whataboutMerri Ck? - both Melbourne area]
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 18:26:53 +1100
I know many birders who won't record ferals - yet how can we track their
spread if the database records don't show them? If you are going to record
observations and log them on an online system then I feel it is only of
value to other birders in the long run if you record EVERYTHING! In fact I
think there are two distinct requirements - a system to record ALL sightings
(which is useful to track distribution and seasonal changes, get a feel for
what a visitor might seem when visiting a reserve etc) and a "twitcher's
line" to flag interesting rarities. The trouble comes when the two purposes
overlap and the former system gets used too much for the latter purpose,
resulting in over and under recordings