birding-aus

Fanastic views of Rufous Scrub-bird

To: "'Allan Benson'" <>, "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: Fanastic views of Rufous Scrub-bird
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 19:17:04 +1100
Sometimes with these elusive birds it can be just luck of the draw.

One time I went with David Mitford to Gloucester Tops saying how hard it
is to see the Rufous Scrub-bird. I did not show a good example as we had
superb and lengthy views of 2 different Scrub-birds around Gloucester
Tops. The first one we just walked up to the calling bird (no tapes used
or even squeaking) and watched it continue to call within a few metres.
This was off Kerripit Rd. The second bird, we just bumped into by
accident along the Antarctic Beach walk where we were able to watch the
bird preen on a log for no less than ten minutes very close to our feet.

However, I have been with other birdos trying so hard by playing tapes
and the bird coming so close but not revealing themselves.

Edwin Vella