birding-aus

Birding in Vietnam

To: "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: Birding in Vietnam
From: "Allan Benson" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 21:46:13 +1100
I have recently returned from a tour of Vietnam. This was a tourist trip
but thought I would keep my eyes open for birds.

The reality is that "incidental "birding in Vietnam is virtually a non
event. There is little habitat in the tourist areas I visited except for
rice paddies (Chinese pond heron and various egrets). Both the numbers
of birds and species diversity was very low.

Fortunately, I had a spare day on the tour and managed (at extremely
short notice) to organise a guide (thank you Tim Murphy). Boa took us to
Tan Phu Forest about 120 km form Ho Chi Minh City where with his expert
help I was able to see about 45 species in a mornings birding. The
highlights for me were  Pied Hornbill, Vernal Hanging Parrot, Racquet-
tailed Treepie and Greater Coucal. I have little experience with Asia
birds, so I'm not sure of the significance of these sightings.

I would be happy to recommend Boa as a guide. His knowledge of the birds
is excellent, his English is good and he is great company. However, plan
a 2 day trip. It takers for ever to travel any where in Vietnam, that 2
days becomes a more realistic time frame for decent birding.

Boa's full Hame is Nguyen Hoai Boa; He can be contacted on
 or check out his website at ww.vietnamwildtour.com

Regards

Allan Benson