birding-aus

Pacific Gull Banding

To: "Chris Charles" <>, <>
Subject: Pacific Gull Banding
From: "Val Ford" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 06:00:16 +1100
Hi Chris

Sounds like you are looking for Bruce Robertson
His contact details are:
16 Ellen Close Warragul  3820
Mobile: 0427 231 344
Fax: 0356 236 327
Email:

Below is a note that was sent to bird watching clubs, put in birding
magazines etc I think some time last year.

Regards

Val
Sorrento, Vic

HELP NEEDED TO FIND BANDED PACIFIC GULLS
I would like to ask your members to be on the lookout, at least for the
remainder of this year, for banded Pacific Gulls - alive or dead.

A number of people have been banding Pacific Gulls over the past few
years:
-  Clive Minton and the Victorian Wader Study Group, around Victoria
-  Peter Dann, at Phillip Island, Victoria
-  Bill Wakefield, around Hobart, Tasmania
-  Cath Meathrel, in the Furneaux Group, Tasmania
-  me, Bruce Robertson, in Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and Western
Australia.

All birds have at least one band, of stainless steel.  Some birds were
also banded with a unique colour combination using Darvic/plastic bands.
Others were banded with a large aluminium band with a unique number stamped
four times around the band.

From previous recoveries of banded birds, we know that first year birds
from last breeding season will be doing their post-fledging dispersal now.
We also know that up to 50% of all first year birds will die before their
first birthday.

Last year I banded over 500 chicks on Goose Island, Tasmania.  This is
the most birds ever banded in the one place at the one time.  It gives us a
unique chance to investigate post-fledging dispersal.  It also is our best
ever chance to find out whether any birds move north to Victoria, across
Bass Strait.

We need the help of people like you who are to be our eyes and ears for
us around coastal Victoria.

Bands recovered from dead birds can be sent to the Australian Bird and
Bat Banding Scheme, GPO Box 8, Canberra  2601.

Sight records, even without full details, are still of value to me.
Please let me know of the whereabouts of any live banded birds that you see.

Bruce Robertson