birding-aus

White-plumed Honeyeater calls

To: "Peter Shute" <>
Subject: White-plumed Honeyeater calls
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 16:10:19 +1100
Yes. Indeed, it would be hard for bird books to list all the various calls of
each species, quite apart from the issues of describing them. Be aware that
authors of bird books use their own different descriptions for the same calls,
such as the "chick-owee and chick-abiddy. Slater says chee-uck-oo-wee and
chick-wist chick-wist". The difference is so as to avoid plagiarism. Or that is
what Ken Simpson told me when I was advising him about the Regent Honeyeater's
mimicry. The quickly repeated single note most certainly is an alarm call and
is a good indicator of hawks flying by, but they also use it in other
circumstances, like at dusk. Why do you say: doesn't sound like an alarm call?

Philip