birding-aus

Barrington Tops

To: "" <>
Subject: Barrington Tops
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 16:34:36 +1100
Dear all

My Christmas and New Year was divided between Barrington Tops and Murrurundi - the rain started Friday evening 29th Dec so packed up everything very wet Saturday and drove to the shelter of Murru - where of course it still rained on and off but at least I was indoors.

In Barrington we camped at Horse Swamp on the edge of Stewart State Forest with the shooters' boundary only 100m from our campsite boundary - a bit close one would think, particularly when you see the dogs that are carried in the cages on the backs of the utes. Not a pleasant sight.

We birded around the camp site and to a dam on Boundary Road, a walk all around Polblue Swamp, and a car trip along the Dilgry Circuit and Gummi Falls on the Manning River. Polblue had many female, immature and fledgling Scarlet Robins, Olive Whistlers calling and seen by some, Red-browed Treecreepers and a Kestrel. Black-faced Monarchs, Shining and Leaden Flycatchers were bathing at the Boundary Road dam along with lots of White-naped Honeyeaters with juveniles,and Yellow-faced HEs dive bombing the water constantly. This water was a rich terracotta as someone had cut a channel from the track to the dam to funnel away the water that collected in the track dip, and the birds were pinkish underneath. Other nice birds were Rufous Fantails, Cicadabirds, Golden and Rufous Whistlers, Superb Lyrebirds calling, Boobook and Frogmouth, Rose Robins, King Parrots, Sacred-Kingfishers, and Shining-bronze, Fantail and Brush Cuckoos. Kookaburras and Pied Currawongs had demanding fledglings. Wedge-tailed Eagles were seen flying over Elleston way. I had a super view of Crested Shrike-tit at Gummi Falls, carefully foraging in a large gum by the water's edge.

Birds at Murrarundi were taking cover from the rain but a Common Blackbird is back in my sister's garden in the middle of town, and a family of King Parrots searching out the remaining fruit on her pear tree.