birding-aus

Re: Western or Little Corella? Update No 1

Subject: Re: Western or Little Corella? Update No 1
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 02:53:57 +0900
   Robert Inglis wrote :
   > After sorting through my collection of Corella images
   > taken in various parts of Australia, I think I can
   > answer my own question.
> It looks like the corellas I saw in Bold Park, Perth,
> WA, were Little Corellas.  The longer-billed birds were
> adults and the shorter-billed birds were juveniles.
>

   > A couple of people have suggested that Western Corellas
   > are unlikely in Perth although I have seen a comment that
   > they could occur in the 'northern suburbs'.
> Bold Park is not in what I would call a northern suburb.

   >> Maps in The Atlas and HANZAB seem to indicate that
   > Western Corella has been seen in the Perth area but the
   > text in HANZAB does not describe the species as occurring
   > there. Some personal comments and some field guides
   > indicate that Western Corella has some pink colouring on
   > the throat (Little Corella has none) whereas HANZAB refers
   > to pinkish bases to the throat feathers which can
   > sometimes be seen when the bird is preening or when
   > ruffled by wind. The same statement is made in HANZAB
   > about Little Corella.
It is all a conspiracy to confuse
me.

   There has been some trapping of corellas in Perth to cull them.  There
   are large flocks of Little Corellas, and Long-billed Corella numbers
   are increasing rapidly.  The trapping has found a very small
   percentage of Western Corellas, and these have been released.
   The flock at Bold Park / Perry Lakes in largely Little Corellas, with
   a few Long-billed Corellas.  I have not seen a Western Corella with
   this flock, but it might be possible.  Having said that, the birds
   that Robert has photographed are Little Corellas.  The bill is quite
   curved, and no apparent flush on the throat.  The shorter billed bird
   may be a juvenile, or it may be an older bird with a worn bill???

   Frank O'Connor           Birding WA [1]http://birdingwa.iinet.net.au
   Phone : (08) 9386 5694              Email :