birding-aus

Wolgan Valley Regents

Subject: Wolgan Valley Regents
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:52:38 +1100
Hi all,

On Thursday as I was travelling to the Capertee Valley with a couple of visitors, I made a quick detour into the Wolgan Valley to check out the Regent Honeyeaters reported a week earlier by Tiffany Mason. I slowed down at Tiffany's 25.1km site and lo and behold, saw a Regent before I even stopped the car! We counted 5 at that spot, all feeding on Yellow Box flowers and being chased by Noisy Friarbirds and Noisy Miners.

I would have loved to continue on down to Newnes but as we were on a tight schedule we had to turn around there and head up to the Capertee. As Tiff reported, there was certainly a lot of Yellow Box in flower along the roadside it would be worthwhile to search the whole road more thoroughly.

I received an email from Lorand Szucs who was there on the 24th and found at least 13-20 Regents at Newnes, including a number of juveniles. Thanks to Lorund for this great sighting!

At any time this very under-birded valley is worth a visit, but especially at the moment. For those not familiar with it, the Wolgan Valley is like a smaller version of the Capertee Valley (but arguably more spectacular), just to the south and separated from it by a very narrow plateau and escarpment. The birdlife tends to be a bit more eastern, with fewer of the western species than the Capertee although things like Hooded Robin, Speckled Warbler and Diamond Firetail can be found there. Access is along the Wolgan Road from Lidsdale to Newnes, north of Lithgow. Please remember to report all Regent sightings to David Geering and look for colour bands.

The Capertee Valley at the moment is as dry as I've ever seen it. My main dam has dried up for the first time since I've been there. Nevertheless we found plenty of birds on Thursday afternoon by focusing our efforts on places where there is still water remaining, such as the river downstream from Glen Davis.

cheers,

Carol

--
Carol Probets