birding-aus

Penrith birds since Christmas

To: "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Penrith birds since Christmas
From: "Mike Simpson" <>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 11:23:40 +1100
I have been out and about around Penrith this week and saw a few interesting
birds:-
Approx. 20 White-throated Needletails over Jamieson Park yesterday before
the thunderstorm hit. Hawking low over the 'wildlife corridor' which has
been planted over the past 4 years or so.
Koels calling all the time.
Juvenile Channel-billed Cuckoo over Maxwell St., South Penrith being chased
by a squadron of Rainbow Lorikeets, yesterday.
A pair of adult CB Cuckoos, same area this morning.

The small patch of swamp in Factory Rd., Regentville has had more water
recently and produced:-
White-necked Heron
White-faced Heron
Royal Spoonbill
Yellow-billed Spoonbill
Great Egret

If anyone is birding in this area, the old Cables Water-ski Park behind the
Panthers Rugby League club may be well worth a visit. This area consists of
2 large lakes and has been abandoned for about 2 years. During this time the
reed beds have grown nicely, there is still plenty of water and a lot of
waterbirds. Access to the lakes is barred (as far as I know), however you
can see in from the footpath through the fields alongside.

I did not have time to have a good look this week, but there were hundreds
of Coot, ducks, various Cormorants, Pelicans etc.

Happy New Year to you all

Regards, Mike Simpson
Penrith, NSW, Australia