birding-aus

Collared Sparrowhawk - specific name

To: Birding-Aus messages <>
Subject: Collared Sparrowhawk - specific name
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 19:28:32 +1100
Dear All,

This thread certainly demonstrates what a morass Avian Nomenclature can be. I am making a couple of spreadsheet based annotated checklists for Malaysia and Malaysian Borneo for a forthcoming trip. I am basing them on a checklist downloaded from www.printablebirdchecklists.homestead.com/. I am annotating them with resident status, and page numbers from Robsons "Birds of South-East Asia", Jeyarajasingam & Pearsons " and MacKinnon & Phillips' Birds of Borneo etc" . And also dipping into Smythies "The Birds of Borneo". I am cross-checking the downloaded checklist with the Malaysian Nture Society's "Checklist of the Birds of Malaysia.

I am slowly going (even more) insane. The discrepancies between the 6 references have been amazing, verging on the diabolical. I have had my web browser tabbed onto Zoonomen and ZOOBANK nearly continuously, trying to work out the latest nomenclature and they don't always agee!. It is enough to make you want to give up birding and take up something like collecting "The Simpsons" ephemera.

Does anyone think that we will ever have a simple definitive source for bird names? Or am I being just a bit hopeful?

Cheers,

Carl Clifford