birding-aus

Drunk Birds

To: <>
Subject: Drunk Birds
From: "alan morris" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 08:32:37 +1100
Hi Birders,

During the early summer of 1976 at Coonabarabran NSW where many people have Apricot Trees in their home gardens, in my capacity of National Parks District Manager, I received a report of some one capturing Musk Lorikeets illegally. On investigation it was found that the Lorikeets had been feeding on the apricots in one backyard and due to the recent rains the ripened fruit fermented and the lorikeets having had their fill, fell to the ground, having "over -indulged". This local person decided to catch them and sell them and head about 14 in captivity. He was pursuaded to let them them go. I then followed up on this issue and found a number of Musk Lorikeets in other locations which also had been picked up by house holders but all after some hours, recovered sufficiently and flew off.

Alan Morris