birding-aus

Re: Wattlebirds (beginner questions)

To: "Philip Veerman" <>
Subject: Re: Wattlebirds (beginner questions)
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:12:58 +1100
True - all birds are clearly related in some way, and our concepts of
"families" and "species" (and the other abstract entities such as orders)
vary with time and which school of taxonomic thought one subscribes to. If
all taxonomists agreed they would be out of a job and we would not need to
keep buying new field guides, or await eagerly the next "official" list to
see how the latest set of "splits" and "lumps" have changed our life list!

Hopefully none of this will put Peter off the rewarding hobby of actually
going out and looking at birds!