birding-aus

Wattlebirds (beginner questions)

To: "Peter Shute (NUW)" <>
Subject: Wattlebirds (beginner questions)
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:21:24 +1100
No they are not honeyeaters - they do have a brush-tipped tongue similar to
honeyeaters (and quite a few other birds as well) but are not classified in
the Honeyeater family. Classification of birds (and indeed other life forms)
into "families" is part of a science called taxonomy, and different
scientists (called taxonomists) have different views on how to classify
species and families - similar appearance and/or behaviour does not
necessarily indicate the species are related in any way - just that they
have both evolved to perhaps feed on the same food source.

On 28/11/06, Peter Shute (NUW) <> wrote:

On Monday, November 27, 2006 3:01 PM Michael Ramsey wrote:

> Wattlebirds are honeyeaters, they are part of the honeyeater or
> Meliphagidae family. Other birds with names that are not honeyeater
> but are in the honeyeater family are chats, miners and spinebills to
> name a few.

What about silvereyes?  My reading suggests not, but my observations led
me
to assume they were.

Peter Shute