birding-aus

FW: [Birding-Aus] Fig Parrot species

To: "Birds" <>
Subject: FW: [Birding-Aus] Fig Parrot species
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 08:49:40 +1030

As Andrew Adcock just restated ' a list is a personal thing, do whatever
makes you happiest'. I agree with this . I'm a twitcher.

 As a twitcher I tend to be a 'splitter' largely following Schodde's
listings for Australia, but of course have no scientific status in this
forum so when a new bird is called and I see it I tend to tick it and
let the experts argue about it for the next ' n' months or years through
BARC or whatever.  It's what turns them on, but I have no intention of
waiting off for their decisions. If they subsequently dismiss a sighting
which I have earlier ticked, it's easy enough to delete it from my
tally. Given the recent results of BARC deliberations published in a
recent Wingspan one could wait as much as five or even eight  years for
an answer, and given my present age I may not have that long to wait. (
crosses himself and says ten Hail Marys).

Tony. Science is great but who wants to wait ?

All flack gratefully received.

-