birding-aus

Camera Shake

To: "'brian fleming'" <>, "'bird'" <>
Subject: Camera Shake
From: "Mike Simpson" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:47:45 +1100
I use a Panasonic Z30 digital camera with 12* zoom and a Tcon-17 1.7 *
teleconverter. This gives the equivalent of around 19*zoom or equals 725mm
on a 35mm camera.

The camera does have image stabilisation, but for hand-held shots, I have
fitted a monopod to the camera which is set nearly horizontal so that it
fits under my arm. This, along with it's extra weight gives plenty of
stability to take pictures of birds at fairly low light levels, yet still
allows for mobility which is not available with a tripod.

See http://members.optusnet.com.au/ozbirds/nankeen_nh.html which is a
cropped image taken at 07:30am from ground level where the bird is near the
top of a tall Casuarina

Regards, Mike Simpson
Penrith, NSW, Australia
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ozbirds