birding-aus

Twitchathon: the competition hots up !!

To: "'BIRDING-AUS'" <>
Subject: Twitchathon: the competition hots up !!
From: "Sean Dooley" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:59:21 +1000
G'day all,

Been away from the computer for most of the week and when I do turn it on,
what do I find but a message from some deranged individual named Dolby
banging on about how his Seven Year Twitchers are going to wipe the floor
with us in this year's twitchathon.

How truly sad. The desperate boast of one who knows their crown is slipping.

Sure The Seven Year Twitchers won the Vic twitchathon last year but surely
it was an aberration. Like Shane Woewodin winning the Brownlow Medal- one
good year in an otherwise average career.

Not that I am saying the Bush Turkeys are the ones who will knock this cocky
bugger off his perch. We are a bit rusty having taken a year off, but we
will be giving it our best shot. We reckon we've got an almost unbeatable
route worked out (though none of us have had the time to get out and see
whether there are any birds along that route this year) and with the changes
to the Victorian rules we think we could be in with a chance to match it
with teams from NSW or even Qld this year.

In previous years we would have to all make our way back to the finishing
line in Melbourne, thereby denying us almost two hours of birding time. This
year like the NSW rules we can finish anywhere we like, so we will be
birding right up to the finish.

And oddly enough in a drought year, the Victorian twitchathon scores are
often higher than average. So this could be the year that someone breaks the
Vic record of 224.

I strongly urge anyone out there, thinking about competing to take the
plunge. We would like some decent competition after all. Beating the Seven
Year Twitchers would feel like no real achievement at all! Kind of like
beating Tuvalu in the soccer.

Good luck to all the Queensland teams for this weekend's twitchathon. I hope
you see heaps of cracking birds and raise heaps of money (cos that's what
it's really about after all... well sort of.)

Sean Dooley