birding-aus

Bizarre Splendid Fairy-wren call

To: <>
Subject: Bizarre Splendid Fairy-wren call
From: "Belinda" <>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 10:02:02 +0800
I've recently moved to Narrogin in W.A.'s wheatbelt to work for the DEC. Yesterday I went out to Yornaning Dam near Cuballing for a look around and while hunting a female fairy-wren I heard a call which I immediately thought was a fan-tailed cuckoo.

I whistled back and it replied, this happened multiple times. A chestnut-rumped thornbill popped into view but that wasn't responsible for the sound. I caught a flash of blue and figured maybe this was the call of the blue-breasted fairy-wren, which I'm not too familiar with yet.

After a few more minutes the culprit flew into full view. A gorgeous male Splendid fairy-wren in full breeding plumage. He opened his beak and out poured this bizarre fan-tailed cuckoo like call, not the usual high pitched reel you'd expect from the species.

I have never heard a splendid fairy-wren make a call like that before!

Belinda