birding-aus

Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo feeding it's own young

To: <>
Subject: Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo feeding it's own young
From: "Helga" <>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 13:26:03 +0930
Hello all. Yesterday at the sewerage ponds at Berri, SA, I witnessed a
Horsefield's Bronze Cuckoo feeding it's young a big caterpillar. It was quite
close and I had excellent looks. It wasn't until later that I realised this
goes against everything we know about Cuckoos. First I thought it might have
been a male feeding a female as part of their courtship. But after consulting
my books to see what the female and juvenile look like exactly compared to the
male I had to conclude that what I saw beeing fed really did look like a
juvenile. It was duller, more brown around the head and the eyestripe was less
defined.
Has anyone witnessed this before or do you think it was a male feeding its
female after all?
Thanks. Helga Kieskamp.